23 November 2008

First Corporation Kill

Today was my corporation's first confirmed kill!

As I've said before, my corporation is a young corporation. Most of our pilots are young in the sense of their pilots license and very little experience is shared amongst us going up against real pilots instead of the pesky little suicide pilots of the local Gurista pirates. What's commonly referred to as rats, Guristas attempt to harass the miners, throwing themselves at our ships, knowing themselves to be ill equipped to defeat most anybody. But today, today we went up against a real pilot, one whose had proper training and access to the equipment necessary to take down other pilots.

For the past couple days, after the defeat of Marcus, another can flipper decided it seemed, with the death of Marcus, to set up shop in his stead. Three of us were victims of his thefts, him swooping in at the helm of a badger class ship, swiping the oar from our cans before quickly warping back out. And if attacked, he would return in a cruiser, the Caracal, to wreak destruction for what he deemed stupidity. But it was him who turned out to be the less intelligent one.

After being harrassed nearly all day by this pest, it was decided it was time for him to be freed of his ship and to feel the cold void of space. Hopping in my rifter, I powered up my systems and set out. I won't deny, it was a horrible ship to fly against the caracal but determination drove me to take the chances. At my side, I had two fellow corp mates, one in another rifter and the other in a destroyer. Also joining us were some alliance mates. It was really the alliance mates who we were expecting to make the attack and kill but in the end, it was my own corporation who sealed his fate. Also joining us, and becoming our latest member was a young miner, perhaps about the same age as myself, flying his own cruiser, an osprey. The osprey was by no means equipped for combat though, instead bearing perhaps a missle launcher and numerous mining lasers. I don't think he intended to get involved in the battle but after having made the mistake of shooting this flipper before and in turn getting himself shot down when the pirate returned in his caracal, he was more than willing to help in playing bait.

While our alliance mates set up in one belt, their warships floating a short distance from their own bate, we set our corp mate up in another belt. Under the rules of Concorde, unless the pilot whose can was robbed was a part of your own corporation, you were not allowed to open fire else face Concorde's wrath. So with two bates, two corporations out on the hunt, I'd say we definitly raised the chances of us catching this nuisance. And sure enough, it happened. Flying in, in his normal fashion, the badger moved to take the can. The comm came alive as Prof, our newest member called out, notifying us the prey had taken his bait. Quickly we turned to warp in. My two wingmen arrived just in time to see the flipper warp out but after getting a few shots off at him, we knew he would return. What he didn't know was that we were armed and that more of us than the couple he saw were warping in after he'd left. So when he returned, just as we knew he would in his Caracal, the fight was on.

I locked my targeting computer on him and opened fire just as my corp mates did. Our shields and firepower were seriously outmatched by the shear strength and fire of his ship but determination and numbers turned evened our odds. With our enemy having a warp disrupter, my chances of keeping my ship were even slimmer. So in the end, when the fog of war cleared, yes, I lost my rifter as well as one my corpmates losing his rifter, but along side our wrecks was the wreck of a Caracal. The loss of two Rifters versus the loss of a Caracal? I'll take that!

Yep. Today was a good day for my corporation!

-ML-

0 comments: